Saturday 2 February 2008

Under the Influence



Man, what a find! Here's a Saturn-centric clip from a British television series called Bad Influence. It features three of the best games in the system's library, including Virtua Cop, Sega Rally Championship, and that most killer of apps, Virtua Fighter 2.

What's most peculiar about this clip are the celebrities used to test drive these games. They're Gladiators, yet quite clearly NOT the American variety I remember watching as a teenager (or now, for that matter). It's surreal to watch one of these muscle-bound, spandex-clad brutes sit down to a game of Sega Rally, then politely observe, "I say, these graphics are cracking good! Jolly good show, I say! Blimey, I would certainly enjoy a spot of tea right now..."

6 comments:

elend said...

Wow, how scary is that?! Great find there. I especially like the "woman" who's shooting at the screen from like.. 1 inch away? I bet she still didn't beat the game that way. Damn, those guys are scary.

fatherkrishna said...

I say dear chap what an absolutely spiffing televisual find you have discovered! Why the wiry blonde chap presenting the show, is one Andy Crane. The BBC show was entitled "In the Broom Cupboard" or something and he co-hosted with a hand puppet called Ed The Duck.

Andy is now news anchor man for the crappiest TV station in the UK, Channel M broadcasting to my home city of Manchester only.

Gladiator Rhino's career has gone from strength to strength, however...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Smith_(Gladiator)

So it's Rhino 1 - Crane 0

But the overall winner is the Saturn!

Top post Arugulaz, and a very convincing British accent, if I may say so!

Anonymous said...

Great video! I miss the glourious days os saturn... but saturn still rules I agree with eleen xD about this "woman" she killed a innocent person in the game xD

I love love your blog =)

fatherkrishna said...

Why thank you Tiago! We love having you here! Keep visiting and commenting... We're all feedback junkies here... :)

Anonymous said...

eh eh thanks =)
Saturn Rules

gnome said...

How utterly weird arugulaz and how so very enlightening dear Father...