Tuesday 10 February 2009

Kicking Ass





Oh Man....I freekin' love this game. I never really played X-Men vs. Street Fighter all that much, I was much more a fan of Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter, and never really gave this one much of a chance....but opportunity knocked, and I had to pick it up...and boy am I glad that I did. I remember when I first saw this game in the arcades I just thought that it was lame...it wasn't until a few years later ('98-'99 'ish) that I really started see why the cross over games were so popular.

I think to the same extent that people enjoy Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold more than Alpha 3, the game play just seems a bit tighter than the later versions of the series, and it's more playable for some one like myself who has a lot more experience with the traditional Street Fighter series' rather than the cross-over series' (i.e. you can still kick ass using regular SF style tactics, something that you can't get away with in Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2). And you can use Akuma/Gouki as a secret character, which I'm very glad about....'cause at first I didn't know he was in this game. I just love that not very many people outside of Japan have had a chance to play an arcade perfect translation of this game on a home console.....and this is why the SS just owns.

The load times are almost non-existent, and the Saturn Mark II pad is pure awesomeness to play this game with. The box isn't in too bad of shape, considering that it is 12 years old. I've got Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter coming in the next few weeks, and when it comes I'll share my story about that game....we've got quite a history together.

Here's a video of my 2nd play through after the game arrived. Not bad for my 2nd time playing this game in about 10 years. There were a few close calls, but I made it through on a single play. The difficulty setting isn't bumped up at all...but still.

Sorry for the crappy video, but if you do suffer through it you'll all see my skills.

Part 1



Part 2

4 comments:

マーティン said...

Nice skills. The Saturn really brought 2D fighters into the home - as far as I was concerned. I didn't want a SNES, so I waited and waited. The Saturn has great 2D fighters. SF on the MD just wasn't as good as the SNES.

NebachadnezzaR said...

Nice vids! It's always great to see some Junkyard-exclusive content :D

The Saturn was definitely the console of choice for fans of 2D beat em ups. Or so I hear...not a fan of the genre... :(

I'm more of a shmups guy, and fortunately the Saturn rocks in that department too! :D

fatherkrishna said...

Not since we posted me and Nebacha playing Virtua Fighter 5 have such skills been shown on the SJY! (LOL!)

Very nice videos!

Random J said...

The Saturn was most definitely the console of choice for 2D beat 'em up fans. But it was an expensive choice given how most of Capcom's 2D classics didn't get releases outside of Japan, and you also needed the RAM cartridge. All of their games were arcade perfect though. You didn't realize how capable the Saturn was in terms of running 2D beat 'em ups until you played them on the PlayStation. X-Men vs Street Fighter on the PlayStation looked AWFUL!! Some of the characters didn't have more than 2 frames of idle animation. I swear Juggernaut just had one. The game used to slow down on the character select screen. The second you pulled off a super attack the action would grind to a halt. Though funnily enough, Marvel VS Street Fighter looked and ran much better...

My mate and I used to play the HELL out of X-Men vs Street Fighter on the Saturn. The music always used to cut out during the intro though. Not sure why. His Saturn was pristine, as was the disc.