Monday 15 June 2009

To The Plushiest - A very public apology!


You may remember some time ago that our newest team member, and resident Saturn shmup and 2D fighter expert, the Plushiest, made a very generous offer to send your's truly the "jizz soaked" edition of Vampire Savior. The condition of this very generous gift?

"The other condition is that upon receiving the jizz copy, you must make a video about how awesome it is that I sent it to you and post it here."

Well, true to his word, our dear Plushy dispatched a rather lovely package, all the way from the distant, wonderful transatlantic land of Canada, which arrived, rather fittingly, on my 42nd birthday. Inside was the rather luscious prospect of a copy of Radiant Silvergun as a little bonus.

Now, I messed around with Vampire Saviour, trying to get it to play, but I cannot get past the first screen, which has some Japanese writing... I've pressed button after button and it will not play (for some unknown reason) on my Saturn... Now I have quite a few Japanese games in my collection, all which play fine, so I don't quite understand why this disc won't. Could it be the jizz??

OK, onto Radiant Silvergun. Now my Saturn is not chipped, so I had to try the old swap trick. As soon as I read that I had to unscrew a part of the casing, I "bottled it". (Translation for our US readers: I chickened out...

Now, I desperately want to play my lovely gifts, and since Nebachadnezzar reported on his "Saturn chipping service" success, I've researched the possibility of getting mine done. I was thrilled when I saw this rather fantastic video over at the rather wonderful Console Passion website.



Do you think I should go for it? It'll cost me about £60.

However, none of this information negates the fact that the Plushiest (real name Sam Lieff) is owed a video declaring his awesomeness, to the SJY... Nay, to the world!!!! Until I can play them and report on how great they are, this simple image will have to suffice....


PLUSHIEST! YOU ARE TRULY AWESOME!!!

12 comments:

gameofyou said...

I know that Vampire Savior requires the 4Meg ram cart (or an action replay) in order to play.

Barry the Nomad said...

Is it wrong that I clicked the post label "jizz" in attempt to find other Saturn "jizz" related articles?

Animated AF said...

I'm tempted to get one of these mods for my Saturn too, mainly because I'm so disappointed that the Japanese console i bought can not output at the same beautiful picture quality via scart that the PAL system does, that and many PAL games on it have buggered image. maybe I should get the PAL system modded and replace it's shell with the brilliant white one.

Barry the Nomad said...

Lightly applied jizz can create a rather convincing white Saturn. XD
...
Oh dear... I am so sorry. :(

The Plushiest said...

Yeah, I would say that you need a 4Meg RAM cart...they are very cheap on Ebay. Also, the unscrewing and swap mod on the Saturn really isn't very difficult. I was a bit hesitant at first, but it was very easy, and the swap trick works very well.

Caleb said...

I FINALLY GOT A COPY OF VAMPIRE SAVIOR!!!

I got it from a Japanese Ebay store for very little Cash.

And yes, you DO have to have a 4 meg cart to make it work.

If you read Japanese you would already know that.

Caleb said...

BTW

I tape modded on of my Saturns and have a nifty little program that will switch the region coding of any Saturn disk Image.

So I can play burnt Saturn games using the swap trick.

I ALSO have my Saturn model 2 kitted out with a All in One 4 Meg Card along with a ton of great Saturn games bought cheap from Japanese Ebay Stores.

I am pretty much set with the Saturn Stuff.

fatherkrishna said...

Wow so nice to see so many people here!

@ Gameofyou and all the rest of you, I have one of these:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8-49-en-70-1b2.html

@ Barry: Golden Cat is right, it is wrong, LOL!

@ Gagaman(n) Shall we? I will if you will...

"Lightly applied jizz can create a rather convincing white Saturn. XD
...
Oh dear... I am so sorry. :(" Stop it Barry! XD

@ Plushiest: So, am I forgiven?

@ Caleb Any chance of you nipping over to the UK to sort my Saturn out? ;)

Animated AF said...

It's ok for you American Saturn gamers, you only have to worry about having a cart that lets you play imports but over here with have to worry about all this 50/60hz nonsense and how it can stretch/squash/de-sync import games. So glad the PAL Dreamcast could do 60hz.

NebachadnezzaR said...

Sorry for being late to the party, Father. That cart indeed has the 4Mb ram that Vampire Saviour needs, I have no idea why it's not working... Try blowing on it (to clean the dust, don't get any freaky ideas...) or see if there's anything you need to configure first.

About the Saturn mods, the mod in the video is only for the region, not the copy protection, so it allows you to play original games from any region (the same thing your action replay already does), but not burnt games. What you need is a modchip.

As for the swap trick, I know it can be frightening to open up a console, but it's really simple. You just have to unscrew the top of the case, you don't have to take anything else off. I understand if you're not comfortable with this, but there's no way you'll damage the Saturn while attempting to do it (unless you're really, REALLY sloppy)

fatherkrishna said...

"(unless you're really, REALLY sloppy)"... Who told you Nebacha? WHO TOLD YOU??? LOL! ;)

elend said...

Hey, just flew over the comments here, but my suggestion is always, that you'd should just buy a japanese Saturn?! They don't cost too much (without box and stuff) and you can still place the 4 Meg Cartridge in the cartslot. Modding an existing PAL saturn is kinda expensive.